Thursday, June 13, 2013

Take A Moment

I used to be a Personal Support Worker in home care. I enjoyed it and met a lot of interesting people.  Everyone has a story if you just take a moment to listen. 

Anyway, even though I loved home care, I wanted to be in one place with a scheduled amount of hours, so I went to Long Term Care (LTC ) .

LTC is so different, so much busier.... We don't often have a lot of time for each resident and it makes me sad.  That's why I always try to take a moment and say a kind "hello" or  "my you look beautiful/handsome today!".

Some people don't take the time. I am not perfect, but I care and I love what I do, although at times I too can become frustrated. If we all just took a moment to realize that maybe someday this may also be our home, how would we want to be treated? As a person or a paycheck?

I just want to take the time now to thank all those caring, compassionate, loving people that I have had this privilege to know and work with over the years, you are the ones that are making a difference. 

For the rest of you, enjoy your paychecks and some day when you are in Long Term Care...I hope that someone stops ... to Take A Moment...


Lorrie Ridge PSW

No comments:

Post a Comment